I worked with a company called Creo Skills which provides an awarding and accreditation services for a wide range of organisations and one of our services is to create and accredit courses which have been identified as being in demand in particular sectors of the UK workforce.
In 2017 they were approached by EU Skills and CITB (Government Agencies for the Energy Sector and the Construction Sector) to create an accredited programme/course for their sectors.
To create a course is called “Determining Competence” and it is designed to train front-line managers, supervisors and team leaders to be able to assess how capable their workers are in the tasks they have to perform in their work. This enables these managers to train their staff in a very focused way or to coach them in precisely the areas where they are weak and where they need more understanding, more knowledge and improved skills. This is where I come in they had a new course but it needed an identity a logo to make it stand out from the rest of there work. It would be used on there work.
I was given their current logo for the company and also previous logo people had made for them for a similar type of course. These are the logo below I was told that the logo needed to be in the same colour scheme as the original Creo logo. They also didn’t want the logo to be complicated as the other two logos shown below.
They gave me a list of words as inspiration and from here I started sketches.
These Sketches and Digital versions were my first set of ideas and these were the idea that I displayed to the company to show what I had got from the brief and also to make sure I was heading in the right direction as to what they wanted from this logo. After discussing with other members of the company the head of the company got back to me with two of my digital version that he liked and wanted to see in more depth. I took this information away and played around with both of the ideas and tried to get the most out of them without changing the idea completely
I played around with colour and positioning. With the first idea, it was similar to their original logo I’d just play around with rotation. My next idea was the face this was the idea of teamwork and I wanted to play around with both in the circle and out of the circle. Also giving the variation of colour and positioning. When showing my further development of two ideas. It was decided to then focus on the two heads within a circle. Once I knew this I then focus on this idea changing the colours and font type and position to give the most option for the one design.
The main thing I focused on how I knew that I was sticking with thing design. I played around with different colour combinations and different positioning with the text. These images above are what I showed to the client. These two logos below were the logo that the client went with. When giving feedback they loved how many varieties of the same idea I gave them. Also that I took their ideas all into consideration and gave my own opinions when needed.
These are some initial idea I had surrounding the idea of hand safety ideas. I wanted my idea to mainly to be shocking because the main issue with this brief is that people are ignoring the hand washing protocol. The more shocking the idea or image would make people stop and think more. I have many ideas of how to shock viewer I just need to think about where would be the best place to display it. One idea I had was to display my idea on the back of soaps because this is where the issue lies people are ignoring the soap so if it said something, like use me of this, would happen to you people might listen. This would be simpler to the campaign on cigarette packaging but the opposite effect.
One idea is to recognise how brushing your teeth campaign was so compelling and handing washing is a similar message. I think noticing how teeth brushing has been drilled into people brains that only a few people ignore it. When it comes to teeth brushing and hand washing they are both hygiene related so why do people ignore all the signs.
Another idea I’ve had is looking into motivational quotes and maybe having these on stickers that say things like I’ve just washed my hands but also having ones that say I haven’t washed my hand and incorporated this into a poster that questions this. This would be another approach to a poster.
Empathy workshop with Neil
“Empathy requires us to put aside our learning, culture, knowledge,
opinions, and worldview purposefully in order to understand other
peoples’ experiences of things deeply and meaningfully.
“It requires a strong sense of imagination for us to be able to see
through another person’s eyes. It requires humility so we can seek
to abandon our preconceived ideas and biases. It requires that
we have a heightened awareness of other peoples’ needs, wants,
motivations and goals.”
Emotions are a great way to connect with people its the best way to communicate a message. ‘Graphic design is the last thing our world needs’ the world does not need another pretty logo it needs effective design. The point of design today need to be that we create a better world with the designs we make. Graphic design is something people don’t think they care about it unless it touches they with feelings and emotions.
- How people understand?
- Emotion and feelings when it come to a piece of design
- Understand emotion
- How do I feel about this message?
- How people respond to your design?
- Empathic Design is a normal form of design
- The familiar
- The uncovered
- Heart is the core thing that motivates us
- Emotion inform their behaviour
- Feelings our experience
- Mind the decision we make
Future facing design:
- Abandon your ego
- Adopt humility
- Be a GOOD LISTENER
- Hone your observation skills
- Be curious
- Be sincere
Hear(sound): Listen (understanding)
- Too the words
- Meg Laughing
- Vibration of plastic
Help these people understand the important of listening.
People don’t want there lives to be interrupted that why they avoid things like being stopped in the street. How do you get people who don’t want to hear listen.
Our team idea:
When you log into a WiFi and it automatically take you to there website we had ther idea of something like that but a message that they cant avoid and listen instead. We had an idea of if this playing a video that asks the person joining the wifi.
Design for real Life
For thinking about information
- Everyone has different attentions to things
- Making the familiar strange and the strange familiar
- Think inside out
- Direct the attention with these emotional experiences. Dealing with it and thinking about how other would link to it
- More information the more confusing it can be
- The important role of a designer is clarity but also making sure you’re not leaving anything out
- Value of information
- Not all of the information will be there, but something might cause a trigger
- Humour with a heart hitting
- Six frames
- Purpose – what is the purpose of the information
- Smoking packaging removing the power of the brand. Replacing with a strong image and a heart hitting message
- Accuracy – understanding accuracy is questioning the source when gathering information
- Research the accuracy with looking into the source
- Where the context is shows it accuracy
- Point of view – engage with who’s point of view it is
- Point of view changes on the perspective from that person
- Interest – something that surprises us information that is unexpected
- Surprise, addition, research
- More interest if it links to you
- Value – ask our self what the value is and how we will work with this
- Confirmation, disagreement, opportunity
- Confirm what you know and don’t know
- Disagree with the approach and ask question if you disagree with the point of view
- Outcome – what are your next step?
- Look back at research