Today I want to collected my spread from touch printing studio. I had them reduce the size to A2 as I felt it was a better magazine spread size. The quality of the printing worked fine I just would have liked the paper to have been a little bit more glossy. When I got into uni I had to trim and bind my pages. The crop marks on my pages helped me to line up where to cut. I used a scalpel and a ruler to cut my pieces down. At first it was very scary because I’m not the best when it come to a scalpel. I found it easier once David showed us a simple way. The whole process was great to see my piece I spent so long on come together.
Overall I am extremely pleased with my outcome I think it looks really strong. I used purple paper in the background of the images to make the piece standout. The many adjustment made to my piece and lots of practice prints I feel my final piece is really strong and I’m very happy with it. I also feel that the quote have really worked. I think that all of the projects over the year has really help me to come up with this piece and I also think my A level photography helped with making my photos so strong.
In the afternoon we were asked to help out with setting up our expedition with painting and other little jobs before hanging our work. It was nice to see a room that was basically an empty canvas and I’m excited to see it with all our work on it. We all worked together as a team to get the room done.
This is my formative feedback and I took all of this in to consideration I tried to concentrate mainly on making the quotes and type work with the body copy. I had the idea of doubling the quote to create the idea of shadow. This links in with the photos with the idea of using shadow to creates these photos. I also looked into my type detailing making less paragraphs and trying to improve the rag. I also changed the quote on the middle page spread where only the word light is in white to match the title where only dark is in black. I decided to change this because it made more sense and visible worked better. Overall I think the quotes make the piece stronger.
Below is my final 3 double page spreads with all the adulterations and improvements. I feel that there improvement has made my piece stronger and visual made the photos stronger working with the body copy.
Over all I think this project has been one of my favourite as it has allowed me to be free within my work and be as creative as I want. I also love the fact that I can take a article hat has no context and make it something thats my own. It also nice to see people taken a lot of different direction with the same article. I think getting feedback and see everyone else approach has really improved my overall spread. The amount of feedback i got from this project really help me. As there was a lot of idea I put into this and I just needed someone else to tell me to strip it back. I also needed to feel confident within my own work with my photo especially.
After my final draft and final presentation of feedback it was my last chance to take the feed back given to me and make amendments. I had a lot of positive feedback most was to make the image stronger and stand out more. I also went back in and changed the column to a simpler layout that made sense when reading.
Here is my final amendments on the first double page spread I have given the image more space and lowered the text so its not over the whole of the image. I edited the image to ensure that it was greyscale and there was no yellow tone. The columns on the next page I edited and made it so it was in the middle but kept it to two column. On the middle double page spread I kept the font bigger and but the white box behind it. I rearrange the column so it was easily read. The third double page spread I rearranged the column so it was two columns and the quote was toward the bottom. I also upped the contrast in the image to bring the white and black tone out.
I feel that this final draft gives a lot more strength to the overall spreads given the images more strength. I have also rearranged the columns so that they now read better and that the line lengths isn’t too long.
Today I presented my edited version of my project from the feedback I got on Monday from David. I feel it has come on a lot since then. I have adjust the size of the font to 15 and I have removed the light bulb all together which I think works well and allows the image to speak for the article. There was things going into this presentation to the class that I was unsure about and wanted the class to point it out and give me there opinion on it.
When going into this I had changed the quotation on the second page and got rid of the white box and tried to play around with the text to make you work to read it but I wasn’t sure if this worked. I also changed the text layout a lot and wanted to find out if it work reading wise.
When getting my feedback I felt it really help to give me the last few things to adjust to my piece. They felt the images were strong and the title over the image could be lowered to allow the image to work on its own. The type detailing needs some work where it is going over 4 column the line length is very long and shows a lot of gaps within the text. They felt the text was hard to read because of the change in column throughout. They felt I should bring the box back on the quotation “Girl in the dark .. back to the light”. They felt the first spread was still very busy there was to many system with the quotations. The image on the first page they felt was strong if I open it up more and remove the text across the face and got rid of the yellow tones in the image because the system should stick to all black and white. I will use greyscale to edit the image.
I felt this feedback helped me to answer my question and it was good to show my work to other member of the class and get there opinion of my work when they haven’t seen it before.