Social Media Project – Character Creation

Today I spent the day using illustrator to create the two main characters of our animation. I wasn’t very confident in illustrator so i spent a hour getting my barking on the software before I attempted my character. I also watched a youtube video to give me a insight on how to create easy characters. I used the sketches allegra had done to follow and create the main character. I started of using line and i found it hard to get the correct shape i wanted. I used video to help me and i found this helpful video which i will link below.

I then decided to use shape to create it which was easier and looked more realistic. I made this guy based of the drawing and the discussion we had as a group we decided we wanted the character skinny with curly ginger hair so i used a red top as it went best with the hair. fullsizeoutput_964

When i showed my group they loved it but felt he needed glasses and kneecap so when we animate it the knees look more realistic and more easier. I also added little detail to the hair and eyes to make it come more to life.

fullsizeoutput_95d

 

We also are going to have this character morfed into a zombie so I used sketches from Allegra and this character to make my zombie we as a team discussed colours and the way we wanted it to look I kept with the same style using shape and the same colour scheme.

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 12.46.44

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 17.20.29
First zombie
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 17.22.20
Using emojis
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 17.22.58
The background zombies

 

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 17.23.07
Zombie shadows

I really enjoyed using illustrated as I’m not the best at sketches and drawing i felt this really worked for me as I really like using new program to broaden my skills. I used a simple video to give me the initial idea on how to approach it. I then took the video and the skills I learnt and play around with them to make these two character to the best of my abilities.

Advertisements

Character Creations

Illustration that we have used in our animation or made to be used but we cut them out.

 

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 10.28.49

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 17.22.20

This is our character for the ‘schmombie’ the idea behind this was for it to remain looking like the first character Dave as in the animation he morf into this ‘schmombie’. We also wanted to show the zombie look along with a slight link to social media by used the heart emoji as the eye. We had a earlier version of this character with was more blocked shaped and the trouser and top were less ripped looking so we modified it slightly.

 

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 22.51.43

This is our main character Dave who I made using a video and changed it to meet the design of the character. I choose the curly hair  and glasses because we wanted him to look friendly. I also felt this character felt young. I have also used this character and changed the position of arms and legs and facial expressions to match the part of the sort he is in.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.40.25
When we first started planning the begging scene was going to start with a mobile dog so we created the two version where he would have morfed from one to the other but when reconsidering the time we cut that part of but I wanted to shoScreen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.40.13w the illustration as this is where our idea started and this is where the mobile in the animation started from. The phone in the animation is standing because he has already grown.

 

This is our phone character we did start with thinking of coming away from the obvious mobile phone looking character and then we decided to stick with the mobile phone look with teeth. The one is it normal the second is for the part of the animation where he feel sick and can’t handle all the notifications.

If we were to do this again or had more time then we would maybe have made the phone become more of a character and have a eye maybe. This would have been the happy and angry phone. I think the eye really adds character but I think it would work either way.

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 12.17.24This is the logo we used at the end of the animation and in our Printed and Digital Ephemera. We used a sketch that Allegra drew of the word Schmombie and I used illustrator to recreate this I also added Are you becoming a in American typewriter font. We originally only had  the word Schmombie but we felt putting it together made it look more like a logo.

These were used in the last scene along with the Schmombie morphing. The sunset in the animation changes to green this shows the Schmombie taking over. We also used the character dave and to create shadow versions.

Altogether the i found creating the illustration on illustrator helped with improving my skills and it also made the whole thing come to life. It brought the whole animation to life the more we created the more you could see the animation come together before we started the animation. I also felt that group worked helped when it came to improving the illustration to make them how we pictured them. Using each other to bounce ideas of each other.